NCI Shady Grove is located at 9609 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850.
This location is easily accessible by both car and public transportation.
Metrorail service is available from Washington's Reagan National Airport and from Union Station (railway). To get to NCI Shady Grove, take the Washington, DC Metro Red line to the Shady Grove stop (terminal station). Exit the Metro station on the "Kiss & Ride" side, and look for signs for the NCI Shady Grove shuttle. The shuttle runs throughout the day, and drops off in front of the NCI building. Alternatively: you may choose to take Metro Red line to the Medical Center stop at the NIH main campus, and then take the NIH Express Shuttle from Building 31 to NCI Shady Grove. See also below: NCI Shuttle Service.
Various Montgomery County Ride-On bus routes service NCI Shady Grove. These buses all have bike racks. Additionally, the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) offers commuter bus routes to the Shady Grove Metro.
Select a route number below for a complete timetable and a map of each Ride-On bus route:
- Route 43 - From Traville Transit Center and Shady Grove Metro. Drops off/Picks up in front of NCI Shady Grove on Medical Center Dr.
- Route 56 - From Rockville Metro and Lakeforest Transit Center. Drops off/Picks up at the intersection of Medical Way and Shady Grove Rd., approximately 200 yards away from NCI Shady Grove.
- Route 66 - From Traville Transit Center and Shady Grove Metro. Drops off/Picks up in front of NCI Shady Grove on Medical Center Dr.
- Route 74 - From Germantown Transit Center and Shady Grove Metro. Drops off/Picks up on Key West Ave., approximately 100 yards from NCI Shady Grove entrance.
Check to see Metro and bus schedules
Arriving from the south of Rockville using Route 270, take exit 8 toward Shady Grove Road. Keep left on the exit ramp, and at the end of the ramp, turn left at the light onto Shady Grove Road heading west. Get into the right lane, and turn right onto Key West Avenue (MD 28 W). Turn left at the next light onto Medical Center Drive. From there, turn right onto Blackwell Road and turn right again into the NCI employee parking garage. Visitors can have their parking ticket validated at the guard station inside the main lobby.
Arriving from the north of Rockville using Route 270, take exit 8 and keep right to take the Omega Drive ramp. The ramp will bring you to a stop sign. Turn left and continue on Omega Drive, which turns into Medical Center Drive. From Medical Center Drive, turn right onto Blackwell Road and turn right again into the NCI employee parking garage. Visitors can have their parking ticket validated at the guard station inside the main lobby.
NCI Shuttle Service
NCI Shady Grove is located at 9609 Medical Center Drive. This location is easily accessible by both car and public transportation. Shuttle service is offered on federal work days and all shuttle routes end at NCI Shady Grove in the evening. Take a look at the links below to find directions. Note, you must have your NIH ID to board the shuttle.
Shady Grove Metro to NCI Shady Grove
Two shuttle buses will depart from the Shady Grove Metro station at 6:00 a.m. and 6:15 a.m. respectively. During commuting times from 6:00 - 9:30 a.m. and 3:00 - 7:00 p.m., service runs every 15 minutes. Between the hours of 9:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., shuttle service is every 30 minutes. The last shuttle leaves for the Metro at 6:45 p.m. The NCI Shady Grove Metro shuttle will pick up passengers on the west side of the Shady Grove Metro Station. The NCI Shady Grove Shuttle will be near the Kiss and Ride lot; look for our shuttle signs.
Main Campus to Shady Grove
Shuttle service runs every thirty minutes nonstop from the main lobby of Building 31 on the NIH Main Campus in Bethesda to NCI Shady Grove from 7:15 a.m. - 6:45 p.m.
Frederick Campus to Shady Grove
Shuttle service from the Frederick campus to Shady Grove is available upon request. Please call 301-846-1091 to make arrangements.
Here are a few things to remember about the NCI Shady Grove shuttle service:
- Shuttles are labeled with their destinations: Metro and NIH Campus to Campus Express. Shuttles stop at the circle in front of the main lobby doors of NCI Shady Grove. During inclement weather, staff can wait in the lobby.
- Drivers will allow riders to board or exit the shuttle bus only at designated shuttle stops.
- All NCI Shady Grove shuttles have bicycle racks.
For Federal Operating Status Changes, Note NCI Shady Grove Shuttle Schedule
- If the federal government has a delayed opening, the shuttles will also delay their start time to coincide with the same delayed schedule (ending times will follow the regular schedule).
- If the federal government is closed, the shuttles will not be in service
- On days with early dismissal, the shuttles will operate on the regular schedule.
Parking (please adhere to these rules, towing enforced)
NCI Employee Parking
All NCI staff members who are driving to NCI Shady Grove should use the parking garage that is directly across the circle from the NCI building. There are no additional places to park other than the garage. There are a total of 1,945 parking spaces in the garage; there are 98 spaces for "Low-Emissions Vehicles (LEV)". Parking tickets can be validated at the guard station in the lobby after a visitor has signed in.
NCI Visitor Parking
Visitors to NCI Shady Grove should park in the NCI Shady Grove garage, which is directly across from the campus building. Visitor parking tickets can be validated at the guard station in the lobby after a visitor has signed in.
Adjacent Parking Lots Belong to Johns Hopkins
Please note that employees are not to park in any of the adjacent parking lots. Those lots belong to Johns Hopkins University and are for students only. Any staff vehicles parked in these spaces will be towed.
Designated Parking Spaces
- Handicapped spaces. The garage has the required number of handicapped spaces for parking. Employees must have a disabled hang tag displayed on their rearview mirrors to park in these spaces. If you park there without a hang tag, you will receive a ticket and a fine from Montgomery County.
- Division, Office and Center parking. Division, Office and Center leaders have specific parking spaces designated in the garage and are marked with signs.
- Motorcycles. There are designated spaces for motorcycles and motorcyclists should enter the parking garage through the Blackwell Road Employee Entrance.
- Bikes. Bicyclists are welcome to use Campus Way (the main circle) to enter the campus. There are bike racks in the garage and also behind our building at the loading dock. The racks at the loading dock are closest to the showers and locker rooms on the Terrace level.
- Shuttle and Buses. The NCI shuttle bus will be stopping for drop-off and pick-up at the front circle of the building. The various commuter buses will make stops on the perimeter of the building. There are parking spaces marked for the shuttles on the first level of the garage and staff should not park in these spaces.
- Towing of Cars. Once the signage is in place marking the designated parking spaces in the parking garage and retail parking in the garage, staff may receive one written warning, but after that, towing of vehicles will be enforced by the builder, Anchor Towing.
- Low-Emission Vehicle Parking (Hybrid & Electric Cars). The garage has preferred parking for Low-Emission Vehicles (LEV). These spaces are to be used only by those driving low-emission cars such as Hybrid or electric cars and this is part of our LEED certification requirements. The spaces are marked with special signage and are available to NCI Shady Grove staff and contractors. Parking stickers will be available through OSFM. If your car has a regular gasoline engine without these features, you are not to park in these spaces. Towing will be enforced.
- The Downtown Crown
- Falls Grove Village Center
- Shady Grove or Medical Center Drive restaurants
- Oishii Bluefin